|Then we dipped them in candy sprinkles! Aren't they cute?|
|Then tied these tags on that say: "We feel so FORTUNATE to know you! Thanks for all you do! All the Merriest!" Hope our Teachers like them.|
Here's the recipe:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (totally optional!)
1Line 2 cookie sheets with wax paper, and butter the wax paper. Set aside. In a 2 quart saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt.
2Cook, stirring, till sugar dissolves. Wash sides of
of pan with a brush dipped in water to remove any sugar crystals. Boil, without stirring, until mixture registers 260 degrees on candy thermometer. This makes the syrup.
3Meanwhile, as temperature of syrup reaches 260 degrees, beat egg whites on high speed till stiff peaks form, at least 5 minutes.
- 4When syrup reaches 260 degrees, very gradually add the syrup to egg whites, beating at high speed with electric mixer.
- 5Add vanilla and beat until candy holds its shape and begins to lose its gloss, about 4-5 minutes.
- 6Stir in the chopped nuts, if desired.
- 7Quickly (work very fast!) drop candy from a buttered teaspoon onto buttered waxed paper, swirling the top of each piece.
- 8Let cool. Yield about 1 1/2 lbs.