Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Headboard: Anthropologie attempt


So I saw a wall about 4 years ago in an Anthropologie store back east. I fell in love. My mom came to visit me this week, and we needed a project. I had this one stewing for about four years and we thought we'd take on the challenge. And, true to form, it was a challenge, with many layers of work to complete the project. What were we thinking!?! We were attempting to recreate the Anthro wall, but modify it to match the bird painting I love.
We started with this frame. 2x12x8 foot boards, but in half so they were four feet long. We had B screw 2x4's into the back for the legs and to hold up the 2x8's.
Then we tried this wonderful technique for aging wood. We soaked steel wool in vinegar for at least 4 hours, added some (about a cup) water after they soaked, then scrubbed the boards with the steel wool.
This is how it turned out.
Then we took my favorite wrapping paper, spray adhesived it to the wood, put a water color of brown over it, let it dry. It wrinkled the paper and I loved the texture it added. After it dried, we dry-brushed cream paint over the black flowers to tone them down. Let it dry, then sealed the paper with clear, satin polyurethane.
This made the paper curl some, but the texture was great, so I just nailed down the edges of the paper that curled.
Next, we took muslin and silk and ripped it into 4 and six inch strips. We had to use Rit dye for the teal/aqua color on some of the muslin because I couldn't find that color. The natural muslin was left alone because it's texture was a little rougher than the muslin we used to dye. The silk was stuff I already had.
And a project isn't a project until the hot glue comes out! My SIL called it the crafter's power tool. Too true. And you can't truly due a project until you get burned by the glue gun, too! Anyway, enough about the glue gun. I cut out three cardboard circles, small, medium, and large. We hot glued the fabric strips around the outside edge first, then filling in the middle, pinching the fabric to make the gathers. Confusing? Sorry.
We placed the fabric flowers, and then I used green mesh floral wrap for leaves. I cut long strips of it, wrapped the center with floral wire, then stapled the flowers and leaves to the wood in whatever fashion.

My blessed B screwed in the 2x4's into the bed frame, and my good boy helped hold up the beastly headboard. Man, it was heavy! It took about 20 minutes to move it from the garage to the bedroom just because I had to keep resting!

Pretty close to the painting! And now I really need new bedding!

9 comments:

The Tiff-girl said...

AWESOME! That's all I can say...

Washington Hills said...

I would love to see it in person!

Andrea said...

Incredible! I have heard it is even more gorgeous in person. Love it!

tyalpabr said...

My name is Ali and I am one of Andrea's friends. Your blog is amazing and you've totally inspired me! If you don't mind, I put you in my favorites and I'm going to copy your awesome ideas. I was showing my girls your creations and they've already picked out 5 projects they want to do!
Thank you!!
ali hoelzer

Holly said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so impressed!!!!!!!!

Summer said...

Welcome, Ali! Glad you're here to witness the insanity. And I'm really glad to see all you people I already know. More the merrier! And more madness to follow...

Charity said...

Aaaahh!! I know I have creativity in me somewhere, but your's is amazing! I love what you created. So awesome!

taratheFirst said...

Now we're talk-in!! This is the stuff we are made of!

You did awesome! I am really impressed.

--Tara

The Skinners said...

Summer,
Icant believe it! It is beautiful. I remember in Maryland when you told me about this. I want you to make me one!!!

hannah